Reporting to the Vice President and working with the Construction and Development Teams. The Construction Manager (CM) will manage all activities in the development and planning of the construction program and activities for specific PortLiving projects and supervise active construction projects and those in post construction completion and warranty phase for the Company when needed. As the company representative, the CM shall work closely with the Development Managers (DM) of each project to achieve the proforma guidelines of each project. The CM shall also work closely with the Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) of designated projects and undertake the primary responsibility for the overall affairs of the Owning Company including, but not limited to construction, administration, finance, and legal.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
– Assist in the formation of preliminary budgets and schedules for assigned projects during development phases.
– Review and recommend materials and assemblies from perspective of cost and constructability.
– Supervise active construction projects and those in the post construction completion and warranty phase for the Company when needed.
– Ensure that construction projects meet quality, budget and schedule expectations of the project.
– Coordinate closely with each Development Manager (DM) or assigned person, in each designated Project.
– Represent the Owner at specific work sites and ensure that the Owner’s interests are best served and maintained for each project.
– Design reporting for each project and provide these regular reports in‐detail and in summary for all projects for which the CM has been assigned.
– Liaise with Accounting/Finance and Development, organize and maintain open communication throughout the departments.
– In coordination with Development and Accounting, monitor and update hard cost cash flow projections, and track through accurate coding the project expenses against the construction budget.
– Oversee the daily progress of the work. This responsibility encompasses the management of all the project related activities of design review and coordination, contracting assistance, construction administration, and post‐handover services.
– Assist in the selection and negotiation of all contracts with the Owner’s Rep, Architect, Designer, Consultants, and General Contractor/Construction Manager.
– Attend all technical meetings throughout the construction phases of each project.
– Carry out detailed review of drawings and documentations in conjunction with the Development Manager.
– Assist in resolving differences and litigations with the different parties involved with each project.
– Ensure, as far as reasonably possible, that relevant applicable standards for health and safety, construction workmanship and materials are duly achieved by third parties of any of their services on each project.
– Ensure cost effective solutions are continuously addressed and achieved by all Consultants.
– Familiarize him/herself with all contracts, issues and correspondence relating to each project.
– Assist in the review and approval of Change Orders with all relevant Parties.
– Assist the Development Manager in contractual matters and in resolving outstanding litigations with Consultants.
– Monitor and report on the progress of design, budget, schedules, contract buyouts.
– Ensure Owner’s interests and objectives are achieved.
– Perform other relevant duties as may be deemed necessary by PortLiving.
Qualifications and Requirements:
– Education: University or technical school graduate in relevant field of work or an equivalent combination of education and work‐related experience. Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying education/training is considered advantageous.
– Experience: Minimum 10 years progressive experience in local Construction Coordination and Management with demonstrated proficiency in multiple disciplines/processes related to the position.
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
– Excellent written and oral communication skills for purpose of providing and explaining project information and status to consultants and internal stakeholders.
– Strong network of Trades, Contractors and Consultants.
– Skilled in dispute resolution, project management and labor costs.
– Knowledge of construction material and labor costs.
– Expert understanding construction drawings and specifications.
– Relevant work experience in project/people management under stressful situations.
– Construction experience as a GC including field activities, office management, operations and procedures.
– Experience in both mixed‐use and tower construction.
– Basic understanding of electrical, HVAC, structural and mechanical systems in complex construction projects.
– Exhibits high level of initiative, self‐starter and strong work ethic with ability to work independently.
– Excellent analytical skills with a keen eye for detail.
– Excellent organizational skills with ability to complete, prioritize and handle multiple tasks under time sensitive deadlines.
– Exhibits high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills.
– Strong computer literacy skills with Microsoft Office (especially MS Project and Excel). Familiarity with estimating and project management software is considered an asset.
– Experience with concrete and/or wood frame structures including estimating, forming, supervision and/or management is an asset.
– Strong level of personal and professional integrity.
– The ability to work and thrive in a fast‐paced, rapidly changing work environment
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Construction Manager in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for follow-up will be contacted
Thank you for taking the time to consider joining the PortLiving Team!