PortLiving, part of Port Capital Group which was established in 2003, is an award-winning Vancouver-based real estate investment and development company with a strategic portfolio of residential, commercial and industrial assets. With centrally-located projects in transit-friendly neighbourhoods, PortLiving provides modern and sophisticated living and working environments that are creative, sustainable, and practical.
We are a company that puts an emphasis on sustainability, innovation, and quality, and are relentlessly committed to achieving our corporate goals within a positive company culture. We value each and every business and personal relationship we have and are committed to nurturing these relationships to the benefit of all. We value people that understand and live our core values and bring a creative and fun attitude to the workplace.
Overview of the Position:
We are looking for a motivated individual to join our team as a Development Manager (DM). As the Development Manager, you will oversee and manage all activities required for the implementation of the project(s) assigned during the various phases of the project – from acquisition to development planning, permitting, design, and overall pre-construction on an array of mixed-use, residential, industrial, and commercial projects. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Operations the Development Manager will work closely with the Construction Manager (CM) and Project Manager (or assigned person) for each assigned project and work within the Development & Construction team.
As the company representative, the DM will work closely with the Vice President, Operations in undertaking the primary responsibility for the overall affairs of the Owning Company for each Project. Working with other key members of the Development & Construction team, responsibilities of the Development Manager will include:
– Represent the Owning Company through all stages of development including all governmental and consultant interactions and ensure that the Owning Company’s interests are best served and maintained.
– Understand and contribute to the proforma building process of each assigned acquisition and/or Project
– Develop a deep understanding of all contracts, issues, and correspondence relating to the project(s) to inform consideration, development, and performance improvement targeted at Development & Construction’s core business processes
– Manage and own the municipal process for each development project including management of statutory approvals and permits with the applicable bodies.
– Prepare development budgets and work with the Finance team on the implementation of these budgets
– Manage applicable Project schedules – to include key Development, Construction, Marketing, and Sales Operations milestones
– Monitor progress of design, budget, and planning/timelines and issue regular periodic reports on status of the project(s).
– Coordinate with all parties involved in the proper realization of the project.
– Work closely with the CM, PM and Finance team to ensure the prompt and accurate payment of all aspects of the development budget for the project.
– Monitor the progress of the work and ensure the services and tasks vested in all the parties involved culminate in delivering the project at the schedule, cost, and quality as shall be agreed upon from time to time. This responsibility encompasses the management of all the project related activities of design review and coordination and contracting assistance.
– Assist in the selection and negotiation of contracts with the consultant team and contractors
– Attend all technical meetings throughout the design phase of each project
– Ensure, as far as reasonably possible, that relevant applicable standards for insurance, design procurement, construction workmanship and materials are duly achieved and to follow up immediately of any error, omission or deficiency in the performance by third parties of any of their services on the project.
– Ensure cost effective solutions are continuously addressed and achieved by the Consultants.
– Assist in contractual matters and in resolving outstanding litigations.
– Ensure the Owning Company’s interests and objectives are achieved.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education: University or technical school graduate in relevant field of work or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, or built environment education / training is considered advantageous.
Experience: Minimum 5 years progressive experience in Development coordination and management with demonstrated proficiency in multiple disciplines / process related to the position
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
– Strong computer literacy skills with Microsoft Office (including MS Project). Familiarity with estimating and project management software is considered an asset.
– Excellent problem solving skills with process design capability
– Possess strong sense of urgency required to work in a high transaction and deadline driven environment
– Ability to work independently with multiple stakeholders, with all levels of management
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills for purpose of providing and explaining project information and status to consultants and internal stakeholders
– Team player who works well with a diverse group of people to accomplish complex tasks; collaborates well with others. Able to multi-task and wear “many hats”
– Experience with concrete and/or wood frame structures including estimating, forming, supervision and/or management is an asset.
– Strong level of personal and professional integrity.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Development Manager” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.